Preparation Time 15 minutes
Cooking Time 1 hour 5 minutes
4.5-5.5kg full Australian leg ham, bone-in
4 x 300ml apple or pear cider
2 cinnamon sticks, cracked
350ml salted caramel sauce, warmed
100g hazelnuts, roasted skin on
100g hazelnuts, roasted skin off
- Pre-heat oven to 170°C
- Using a small sharp knife carefully lift one side of the ham rind, then using your fingertips gently separate the rind from the fat in one piece.
- Cut a shallow diamond pattern in the fat.
- Place the leg ham into a large baking dish and pour over the apple cider and add the cinnamon sticks to the baking pan.
- Place the ham into the oven and bake for 20 minutes.
- Remove the ham from the oven and drizzle half the salted caramel sauce evenly over the ham (use a silicone brush or your hand to coat the ham liberally).
- Return the ham to the oven and bake for a further 45 minutes until golden. Allow the ham to rest for 20 minutes prior to placing onto serving platter or board.
- To serve, tie the hock with a piece of muslin for easy carving and drizzle over the remaining sauce. Serve with all the festive trimmings.